Sebastian Inlet

The Sebastian Inlet Chapter of the Surfrider Foundation was founded in 1997 and spans portions of Brevard and Indian River counties in Florida. Our mission is the protection and enjoyment of oceans, waves and beaches through a powerful activist network. More Details
May 17, 2017

May Chapter Meeting

Sebastian Inlet Surfrider Chapter

Meeting Minutes

May 17, 2017

 

Meeting called to order: 6pm

In Attendance: Alec Buchness, Allison Arteaga, Erik Schwarze, Roger Ross, John Robson, Bo Platt, Shannon, Dylan Hansen

  • This coming Saturday is Hands Across The Sand: kids from Indialantic Elementary will be coming out for a beach cleanup at nine before event. 11:30 gather on beach, join hands along shorefront, halfway through meeting will make posters. The whole messaging will be based on clean energy. Will meet at pavilion at Paradise Beach Park. Surprise guest will be attending that will be good for pictures.
  • Dylan Hansen recommends chapter undertake fossil fuel divestiture by switching from Bank of America to a local credit union or other bank with more transparency, would have to go through national
  • Treasurer’s report: Erik Schwarze
    • Beginning balance $16,065.40
    • $650 for t-shirts for Indialantic school club (100 shirts)
    • Deposits following Boards Brew + Bands Festival : $1,200
    • $736.12 on the square from memberships
    • Billy chapman performance fee $200
    • $1,255 from Josh for bag sales
    • $2,500 check from chapter for Satellite Beach
    • Projector purchased Monday: $482.00
    • $100 check to Vince Lamb for Charlie Corbeil awards
    • Deposits: 3,248.12
    • Expenditures $3,931.49
    • This month net: -$683.00
    • Ending balance $15,382.40
  • Need storage for boxes of bags, Allison will contact Anthony Soland to see if Standard Collective would like to sell bags
  • Waterman’s Challenge, will be fielding teams, Roger has 11 people who have said they wanted to surf, including five of the people from last year. Could do two teams. Alec moves to field two teams, Roger seconds, Erik will enter teams and pay registration fees online
  • June 10 Captain Hiram’s Surf Expo and Festival, will put out request for volunteers later, will be reaching out to volunteers in the far south of the chapter’s range. We may be able to get discounted rates for rooms if anyone would like to stay the night, may be a paddleout for Dick Catri the same day.
  • The weekend after is international surfing day on the 17th. Trying to get Long Doggers to let us do it in Indialantic. If not Long Doggers, Islands Fish Grill or Big Island Burrito are options
  • The rest of the summer will be more calm, with a few social events, and then in the fall the next big event is the Space Coast Saunter
  • Marine Resources Council rain barrel project looking for $100 sponsors that will get their logos listed at the education station for the new mangrove farm at MRC Lagoon House, Erik moves to sponsor, Roger seconds, passes unanimously by EC board vote.
  • Bo Platt political updates
    • went to an event from Randy Find recently, wants to set up meeting with him and also Thad Altman to talk to them about the plastic bag bill. Find said he would be open to it if it didn’t just apply to small communities and could be across the board. His offices are in Palm Bay. Open to meeting anytime between now and August. Unlikely he would sponsor the bill, but could ask about it or at least educate him. Will keep Holly in the loop
    • Tobia is cutting county budget drastically, got him to back off most of his cuts from speakers, but now he wants to sell off park lands and cut budgets, show up Tuesday 23rd at 1pm to voice support for parks, beach access and Archie Carr refuge could be impacted
  • John Robson: First Beach Project
    • Posters are ready, available for chapter members who want to put them up and talk to people about it. Local breweries will provide beers, restaurants are also participating, vendors too, musicians lined up. Event will be filmed.
    • May 27th. Forum starts at 4pm, rest of event will take place at 5pm. Tourism Development Council and Sebastian special taxing district want to see big turnout in order to support project. People can buy wristbands for food and beer, proceeds will go to first peak project
    • Haven’t heard back from National as to whether we can support it, but Holly didn’t see an issue with it, would like Surfrider to provide a tent to sell wristbands, Dade County and other Florida chapters are sharing on social media about the event
  • Allison Arteaga: Litter Quitter updates
    • Annual Summit coming up for member businesses, 9am-11am at the doubletree in Cocoa Beach June 21st, Surfrider is invited to table as a partner, will feature presentations about the program, the group pricing discounts, and a discussion of sustainability practices by members, will be live streamed to Facebook
  • Executive Council vote for new vice chair: Shannon will be the vice chair.
  • Roger moves to adjourn, Allison seconds. 7:30pm
April 19, 2017

April 2017 Chapter Meeting Minutes

Surfrider Sebastian Inlet Chapter

April Meeting 4/19/17

Call to order 6:30pm

 

EC members in attendance

Alec Buchness, Eric Shwarze, John Robson, Allison Arteaga, Ryan Dadds, Roger Ross

14 additional members

 

Around-the-room introductions of everyone in attendance

 

Erik Schwarze: Treasurer’s Report

Check to Dylan Hansen for $600 to cover videos

Charlie Corbeil Awards

Food for adopt-a-highway road cleanup

Debits $706.47

Current Balance: $16, 065

 

Recap of cleanup along A1A: did cleanup, with BBQ afterwards. Most of the trash was found in bushes along road, next time, will look into separating out recycling. Got about six bags of trash. Supposed to be doing cleanups quarterly.

 

Charlie Corbeil Awards recap by Ryan Dadds: Ryan, Allison, and Mike Daniels were in attendance. Awarded to two kids and eight adults, big emphasis on Indian River Lagoon, less for the ocean, had hoped to see more for the ocean. Inspiring event, good to meet everyone in conservation. Chapter donated money to help with program. Can send chapter people next year too.

 

Updates on Local Bands, Boards & Brews Festival by Orlando: Met with John today, looks like everything is ready to go, have seven shapers signed up and six vendors. All sponsors have donated $200. April 29th noon-10pm. Still looking for volunteers, and having people come out. Main time slot = 6-8pm, will be the busiest time. Main goal will be membership sign-ups and renewals. Will be giving away reusable shopping bags too. Members get wristbands for discounted prices on beers. Two food trucks this year. Five bands signed up. Will be signing up additional volunteers for 6-8pm slot.

 

Josh had to step down as vice chair. Need to replace him. Executive Committee will need to vote on next person to take that position. It will be a two-year commitment. Would like to make nominations tonight.

 

Cocoa Beach chapter, black tie and baggies events at Long Dogger’s. Fundraiser for their chapter, encourage members from our chapter to go up and support them on May 6th. After that, May 20th is hands across the sand. Will take place at Paradise Park. Event started after Horizon oil spill, is a show of solidarity to prevent offshore drilling, will take place from 11-12, will form a line of people and hold hands. Cocoa Beach will have a simultaneous event in their area. Pete Stauffer from Surfrider’s corporate office has been sending out e-mails encouraging people to contact their senators to express their opposition for offshore drilling. Publication effort ideas for the event. Could do posters or talk to WFIT. Currently use social media. Need help with the website, asked for volunteers to help with updating the website. Consider doing Facebook advertising to promote chapter events. Consider picking and choosing certain locations to try out some posters.

 

Waterman’s Challenge June 3rd is a surf contest coming up, chapter challenge is a division among Florida chapters. Our chapter won it last year and a couple years ago. Will have tent there representing the chapter. Would like to put two teams out there. Tag-team event, win goes to team with most points in given time frame. Talk to Roger if you’re interested in competing

 

June 10th. Captain Hiram’s surf expo to raise money for Surfrider. Line-up of bands. Will be recruiting people to volunteer at the event as we get closer. Looking to support that event because can help recruit members from further south in the county

 

International surfing Day June 17th, Saturday closest to summer solstice. Looking for someone to help organize it. Usually reserve large pavilion at paradise, would like to get Long Dogger’s involved. Last few years had an evening event. Will be doing surf lessons for kids. Looking for volunteers to help out

 

Sebastian Inlet Surf & Sport is celebrating 5th anniversary presentation by John Robson. Anniversary party usually raises funds for local surf teams to send them to NSSA Nationals. Talking to Pariedolia Brewing Company. Surfrider and First Peak can invite breweries, restaurants to do sampling. People can buy wristbands. Band will be coming in. Start day off with forum on the First Peak Project.

 

First Peak project: effort to restore the break at first peak. Founder of project wants the chapter’s support. Information as been sent to corporate, waiting to hear back to see if we can officially support it or not. Recent surfer magazine article featured first peak and the importance to professional surfing. The original jetty was a concrete wall, as swell came in, it formed a doubled up, hollow wave right at the sandbar, was consistent even when waves were small. 2004, reinforced the structure, put piling in front of wall, ended up diffusing wave energy. Jeff, the founder has worked on inland man-made surfing projects, wants to build a refracting wall around the pilings to bring back the wave, looking for lowest impact strategy possible. His proposal is removable if it doesn’t work. Has been talking to Sebastian inlet tax district, sea turtle conservancy, tourism development council, needs to be public/private project. Could potentially create habitat for worm reef, models show could also put less sand in inlet. TDC has pledged funding to professional contest, more consistent waves could mean better contests and more draw for local businesses

 

Surfrider has a new coordinator at the national level for their school club programs. Boyd runs a lot of our programs locally, will try to coordinate a quick call. If anyone know parents at beachside elementary schools, it is easy to get new clubs started. Meets once a month after school for an hour at a time. Also use the kids for volunteer projects like sea oats. Can do clubs at junior and senior high schools too. $20 dues cover snacks and shirts for the club

 

Should probably get a projector to use at our meeting and events. Erik has looked into pricing. Motion to buy a projector, seconded. Eric will get pricing. Approved to spend up to $300 on projector

 

Would like to suggest that after meetings, could have local musicians come in to play. Could be a good social thing , could be open to the general public

 

 

 

April 19, 2017

March Meeting Minutes

March 17 Meeting Minutes

April 19, 2017

October Chapter Meeting Minutes

10/18/16

Present Participants

  • Alec Buchness
  • Josh Pause
  • Julie Finch
  • Orlando
  • Colleen
  • Mike Daniels

Meeting Discussion

  • Beach and shore committee meeting update coming soon on sale of public land in IRC. Looking to still preserve beach access even if public land sells
  • Friday night climate event at MRC 6pm Friday the 21st
  • Causeway rally for the lagoon set for the 22nd
  • If you can only do one, do the lagoon event as priority
  • EC elections are next month
  • $750 sent to surfrider will be given to Pure Ocean for ORB fest
February 15, 2017

February Chapter Meeting Minutes

February Chapter Meeting

February 15, 2017

November meeting minutes

November Chapter Meeting

January 18, 2017

Sea Oats Planting – February 4th, 2017

Please join us February 4th, 2017 to restore our dunes with a sea oats planting!

November 5, 2016

Rise Above Plastics: Founder’s Day Event

Today we launched our latest Rise Above Plastics campaign at the City of Satellite Beach Founders Day’s event.

You may have seen Todd the Trash Turtle in the parade. Here is a photo of Eric Schwarze, RAP leader, and the mastermind behind Todd posing with his creation:

eric_and_todd

Todd the Trash Turtle is filled with the single-use plastic bags we collected via our location at Satellite Beach City Hall in the past week. If you haven’t already, please stop by to donate any unwanted single-use plastics bags you may have at home. As we continue to collect these bags, Todd the Trash Turtle will continue to grow.

Many people scoffed at Eric’s brilliant trash sculpture, but in the end, Todd had the last laugh:

We are pleased to report that Todd the Prize-Winning Trash Turtle is the official winner of the Spirit Award for Founder’s Day 2016. Here we see Todd displaying his newest prize:

todd_the_prizewinner

We have already distributed over 140 reusable bags as part of this campaign. If those bags are used every day for the next year, we will have saved 52,560 single-use plastic bags, 13,140 pieces of litter, and offset over 1,158 pounds of CO2 emissions. Most importantly, we are working together to protect our precious sea turtles from choking on this trash. Just like Todd, real sea turtles mistake single-use plastic bags for jellyfish and try to eat them. This results in serious injury or death.

If you missed us today at Founder’s Day, have no fear! The adventures of Todd the Trash Turtle have only just begun. You can still order your own reusable bags at HelpTheBeach.com, and learn more about the dangers of single-use plastic there.

You can also catch us at the upcoming Ocean Reef Beach Festival on December 3rd to get more reusable bags, and see Todd for yourself.

Skip the bag, save a turtle.

Together we can HelpTheBeach.com!

Special thanks to Eric Schwarze, Julie Finch, Mike Daniel, James Smith, Allison Arteaga, Orlando Briceno, all the members of the City of Satellite Beach Sustainability Board, Sebastian Inlet Surfrider Chapter, and of course, Todd the Trash Turtle, for making today’s event such a success!

 

October 18, 2016

September Meeting Minutes

Surfrider Meeting – 6:30pm Tuesday 9/20th
In attendance:
– Mike Daniel
– Eric Schwarze
– Bill Dellucia
– Josh Pause
– Darren
Mike called meeting to order @ 6:32p.
Mike D: update on 5 acre parcel in Indian County. We are waiting for more information.
We have the option to prevent getting an easement from the County re: beach access.
There was a meeting 9/19; lacked quorum, tabled until next meeting.
See Chair Report for further details.
Treasury Report – Eric
$10,247 balance last meeting.
Issue with phone app, unable to get access to balance information.
Surfer Stomp $270 cash donations Saturday Night.
John and Gay are working out some of the issue with sponsors check. Sponsors wrote a check
to John, John needs to cut a new check to Surfrider 501(3)c.
Mike advised against this practice; direct checks are tabled
Donating $100 to PAC Meeting via Vince Lamb for event Gleason Auditorium.
Regular Joe wrap-up pending, will address additional funds.
Bill Report – Ocean Friendly Gardens
Two tours this Sat at MRC for National Estuaries Day; discussing natives v. invasives.
Frank Mazzeone [SIC] MRC / Habitat Restoration for Melbourne Beach restoration is
in a planning stage.
Eric suggested film “Into the Sea” commissioned by Surfrider.
Eric discussed the synergy between Natives and Litter Reduction.
Chapter Elections: the following candidates have declared intent:
Alec Buchness, Chairman
Josh Pause, Vice Chairman
Allison Arteaga, Secretary
Eric Schwarze, Treasurer
Ryan Dadds, Volunteer Coordinator
Old Business:
Regular Joe debriefing is pending John.
H20stoked.com interviewed Eric, glowing reviews, high media engagement, response is positive.
Mike D:
Space Coast Saunter starts Surf and Sport on October 5th. Facebook promo Saunter.
Josh P:
Lagoon Update- BIRLC now 600+ members, Josh has delegate Marilyn and others to lead communications.
PAC Update – $8,000 collected; another $10,000 pending
October 18, 2016

June Meeting Minutes

surfrider-minutes-june-2016

1 2 3 8

Coastal Blog

Jim’s Blog