Surfrider Foundation, Sebastian Inlet Chapter Meeting 18 October 2017
The Standard Collective, Eau Gallie district, Melbourne, FL
16 in attendance (3 new attendees from Cape Fear chapter, NC)
7:00 Intros/welcome: Alec Buchness/Chair welcomed everyone and opened the meeting
7:15 Treasurer report: Two month compilation: $16, 980.00 balance.
7:20 Ryckman Park tabling event report/Bo Platt
- FIT effort focusing on shoreline restoration
- Wrapping oyster mats around pilings Melbourne Pier
- Seeking input regarding financial assistance for low income youths interested in ocean related careers to attend Marine Sciences workshop hosted by FIT. Alec pledged to take a look at the chapter sponsoring interested individuals
- Bo highlighted tomorrow night’s sustainability discussion at FIT (handout)
7:30 Regular Joe Surf Festival Report/Eric Schwarz & John Robson)
- Summary of week’s events
- Highlighted that this is the first year that the Regular Joe has gotten official county recognition from the Space Coast Tourism Board
7:45 School club update/Boyd Mark (Read by Alec)
- New club at Ocean Breeze had 70 students show. Tremendous reception.
- Challenges at high school level. Plenty of interested students but competing demand for students’ time.
8:10 FIT beach cleanup/Nicole
- 29 October 10:00 – 3:00 FIT Grad school student sponsored
- Day at the beach: cleanup, picnic, surf lessons
- Need help with lessons and cleanup
- Chapter members encouraged to attend and support
- Flyers distributed to attendees
8:15 First Peak Project/Justin Enjo
- New video, homepage and website update in works
- Trying to build support from surfing community
- Planning event to highlight project’s worth and to gain surfer’s support
8:20 Ocean Reef Beach ‘ORB’ Festival 12/2/17
- Intracoastal Brewery sponsoring
- Jim handling volunteers
8:30 State of the beaches
- Lots of debris still on the beaches. Possible additional beach cleanups?
- Midreach Project still underway
- Lots of momentum, will be difficult to stop
- org has info on latest developments
8:45 New Business
King of the Peak Contest 11/4/17 – 11/12/17
- Surfrider invited to participate. Will have tent. Need to determine which week-end.
- Join Cocoa Beach Chapter?
- Stay local at Coasters Lou’s Blues or other local spot
Gabriel Rothblatt/RE: RC’s beach access through UTI property
- Florida Today more receptive to publishing articles on environmental issues
- Access easement for RCs
- Wants help getting SB to commence construction
- Access central to Surfrider mission
- Should be simple to get national to support