SRF Meeting Minutes 1/20/21
Location – Goombay’s Seafood Restaurant, Satellite Beach
Attendees – 14
6:30 – Call to order – Alec Buchness, Chapter Chair
6:35 Intros & 2020 Recap
- In July, we officially merged the Sebastian Inlet and Cocoa Beach chapters under the “SpaceCoast Chapter” name. We are still in the process of merging our Facebook and webpages.
- In August, we began monthly beach cleanups at the Second Light beach in S. Cocoa Beach on the fourth Sat. of the month from 8 – 10 am.
- Authorized a $2,000 contribution to the UCF Marine Turtle Research Group towards the purchase of a new ATV for their nest monitoring program. Plan to have a photo op when they make purchase. Still shopping.
- Authorized a $2,000 payment to support the Surfrider Foundation’s legal challenge to the Walton Co. Customary Use Law (FL House Bill 631). This bill limits the public’s beach access to below the mean high tide water line on historically ‘customary use’ beaches. In effect, privatizing the beach by preventing access from the property line to the water line.
- Contributed $2,000 to the production of the recycling film, “Reckless Recycling” by Balance for Earth productions.
6:45 EC/Program/Campaign Reports
~ Blue Water Task Force “BWTF” – No report. Program director unavailable.
~ Ocean Friendly Gardens “OFG” – Bill Deluccia.
- Still planning various native planting projects. Possibly at the restored historical site, Green Gables mansion, Melbourne. Also, the Indian River Lagoon state park near Honest John’s Fishcamp.
~ Ocean Friendly Restaurants “OFR” – No report. Program director unavailable.
7:00 Old Business
- “Reckless Recycling” documentary. Discuss possible premiere options.
- Possibly use the Cocoa Beach Playhouse to premier film along with another surf movie. Use as a fund-raising event. Timing – later in year, hopefully post-Covid. Discussed July or Aug.
- Beach cleanup – Next date: Jan. 30th, 1st St. N, Cocoa Beach as part of the dune restoration project. 8:30am – noon.
- Dune Restoration Project – Jan. 30th, 8:30am – 12:30pm 1st St.N. Cocoa Beach
- City of CB to furnish 600 additional plants and stakes. Also local restaurant to provide lunch.
- May need to split plantings with another site TBD
- Free parking in the parking garage south on Atlantic Ave., near MinuteMan Causeway
- Ocean Reef Beach (ORB) Festival Dec. 4th 2021
- Need to meet with City of Satellite Beach to confirm event will happen. Perhaps a scaled down version this year?
7:30 New Business
Villon Locals Only Surf Contest Feb. 13th & 14th
- Confirmed we will have a booth.
- Volunteers needed to man booth
Coastal Recreation Hill Day, Washington, DC – Virtual lobby days March 10th & 11th.
- Deadline to register 1/22/21.
- Three members expressed interest, but they’re limited to one day each.
- Megan Selva, new chapter member and Melbourne City employee working environmental education dept. is interested in starting a collaboration with our chapter and the City to promote plastic reduction. This would be tied into our OFR program. Also, interested in promoting Trash Bash on April 3rd & IRL Day in Nov. It was suggested we use the Trash Bash day to clean our section of A1A as part of the Adopt-a-Hwy program.
- Paul Ruben, new chapter member, shared innovative beach cleanup ‘backpack’ he designed using a plastic lined backpack with an open trellis bottom to make picking up and carrying trash easier. He will bring to the next clean up.
- Ali Otoya, new chapter member, brought up that she works as the local marketing person for Boston Beer Co. and is interested in collaborating on future events. Possible beer special at next meeting. She’ll work with Goombay’s owner. Also, she can provide swag at events.
Meeting adjourned 7:35pm